These words from our gospel reading this Sunday (John 6:7), KICKOFF SUNDAY, reflects Jesus‘ crucial question to his disciples. There is a difference between those who claim to be his disciples and those who really aren’t. It is a threatening question in someways. Deeply provocative. He asked this question in the midst of a community of people.
As summer comes to a close, we begin our opportunities for our worshiping community to come together in celebration on Sundays and opportunities throughout the week such as our group life (Pastorates), Alpha, men’s, women’s, mom’s, and young adult studies, church wide parties, children’s and youth events, etc. We do not do these events and programs at All Saints just to look like we have a lot going on. We do them because we truly believe that God heals and transforms lives in community, and we want to provide every chance we can for those in our lives to experience this.
Remember, there is so much loneliness and a lack of community in the culture around us. This Sunday, KICKOFF SUNDAY, is a wonderful opportunity to know what is being offered at ASD this fall. It’s for you to invite your friends, family and others, believers and nonbelievers, to come with you to experience the health and joy a worshiping community provides.
This Sunday we’ll have:
- Our September through December calendars available so you can go ahead and “Save the Dates”.
- A Crossroads update for each service. It’s been an eventful spring and summer and we want to tell you all that God has done!
- A light brunch (we still need a few people to bring food. You can sign-up here!)
We also have some exciting things happening in the next few weeks.
- First Fruits– September 7, 7 – 9 p.m., We’re back from summer break! Come and seek after the Holy Spirit in worship and prayer at our monthly Friday night healing service.
- Pastorates Begin– September 9, Pastorates are a place of connection for desired transformation. They are groups of 15–30 people who meet in homes every other week. Registration starts next week.
- Alpha Begins– September 18, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., Invite friends and neighbors to Alpha on Tuesday nights at Campisi’s Downtown to discuss the big questions of life in a laid-back environment. Email [email protected] to sign-up.
As I have been saying the last several Sundays, I hope you will feel encouraged and comfortable in inviting your friends and family and those who may not be believers, those who are confused, those who may be seeking or curious. Let all of us hear the words of Jesus’ question “Do you want to go away as well?” And Peter’s response “where else would we go, only you have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.“ John 6:68.